Phoenix Insider Trading Lawyer
Defense Against Insider Trading Allegations in Arizona
Insider trading is illegal and is considered a serious federal crime. If you have been accused of insider trading, you need the assistance of an experienced criminal defense attorney. At Knowles Law Firm, PLC, our Phoenix insider trading attorneys are ready to provide you with top-notch service and effective solutions for your legal needs.
Call Knowles Law Firm, PLC today at (602) 702-5431 or contact us online to schedule a consultation with our insider trading attorney in Phoenix.
What is Insider Trading?
Insider trading occurs when individuals buy or sell securities in a company based on non-public, material information about that company. This information is typically obtained from insiders, such as company executives, employees, or others with privileged knowledge. Insider trading undermines the integrity of financial markets by giving certain individuals an unfair advantage, which can lead to market manipulation and the erosion of investor confidence.
Insider trading can take various forms, including:
- Classical Insider Trading: This involves trading securities based on non-public information obtained directly from company insiders.
- Tipper-Tippee Insider Trading: In this scenario, a person with insider information (the tipper) shares that information with another person (the tippee), who then trades on it. Both the tipper and tippee can be held liable for insider trading.
- Misappropriation Insider Trading: This type of insider trading occurs when individuals misappropriate confidential information from their employers and use it for personal gain. It doesn't necessarily involve trading in the employer's securities but can be any related securities transaction.
What Are the Penalties for Insider Trading in Arizona?
Insider trading is a federal offense, and the penalties can be severe, including both civil and criminal consequences. These penalties may include:
- Criminal Penalties: Individuals convicted of insider trading can face hefty fines and substantial prison sentences, which can extend to many years.
- Civil Penalties: The Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) can bring civil actions against individuals involved in insider trading, resulting in fines and disgorgement of any ill-gotten gains.
- Damages in Civil Lawsuits: In addition to government actions, individuals affected by insider trading can bring civil lawsuits to recover damages they suffered as a result of unlawful trading.
- Regulatory Sanctions: Regulatory bodies, such as FINRA, can take action against brokers and investment professionals who engage in insider trading, including suspension or revocation of licenses.
- Reputation Damage: An insider trading conviction can have long-lasting consequences, including damage to one's personal and professional reputation.
Defending Against Insider Trading Charges
Some common defenses against insider trader charges may include:
- Lack of Material Non-Public Information: One key element of an insider trading charge is the possession of material non-public information. We can argue that the information in question was not material or non-public or that you did not possess it at the time of the trade.
- Lack of Intent: Proving intent is crucial in an insider trading case. We can work to demonstrate that you did not possess the intent to commit insider trading, perhaps due to a lack of knowledge or misunderstanding of the information's significance.
- Affirmative Defenses: In some cases, affirmative defenses may apply, such as pre-existing plans for trading, which can demonstrate that the trades were not based on insider information.
- Procedural Defenses: We can thoroughly examine the procedures followed during the investigation and the arrest to ensure that your rights were not violated.
- Challenging the Evidence: We can scrutinize the evidence against you and, if necessary, challenge its validity or admissibility in court.
Contact Our Insider Trading Attorney in Phoenix Today
Facing insider trading charges is a daunting experience, but you don't have to navigate it alone. Knowles Law Firm, PLC, is your trusted partner in securing the best possible outcome for your case. Our Phoenix insider trading lawyer understands the complexities of these cases and will work tirelessly to protect your rights and interests. Your future is at stake, and we are here to provide the strong legal representation you deserve.
Contact Knowles Law Firm, PLC today to get started with our Phoenix insider trading lawyer.
“We owe you Knowles. They are Arizona's top DUI attorneys.” - Thomas Mello
“Very professional, friendly and knowledgeable, ready to answer any questions and were just a helping hand during harsh times.” - Former Client
“Right away they found an error made by the prosecution and were able to get a significantly better plea offer.” - Former Client